Sunday, March 9, 2014

Video Game Revolution

Growing up I had many different video games. When I was really young I would play Nintendo 64 with my family, and I remember playing Mario Cart, and always falling off rainbow road. Then as I got older I had a Gameboy, and then time went on that they created Nintendo DS, Gamecube, Xbox, and Playstation. 

This 2 hour presentation of the examination of the past, present, and future video game revolution was really interesting. The home computer was partially designed to play games. 
The Video Game Revolution examines first the history of games, beginning with a 1950s engineer named Ralph Baer who suggested that televisions should have on-screen game playing. In 1972,  an ex-circus barker named Nolan Bushnell produced "Pong", a bouncing dot that one would have to keep going back and forth, and this blew up in the gaming industry. 
In this program we also see interviews with game-making creators, many of them still involved in game-creation, including Shigeru "Donkey Kong" Miyamoto, Jason "Crash Bandicoot" Rubin, Will "The Sims" Wright, Chris "Dungeon Siege" and Megan "Nancy Drew" Gaiser. What I thought was interesting in this program was how they talk about violence and it becomes an issue. I actually agree with this. Young kids shooting guns and hurting people in a video game may cause them to act out in real life. A lot of video games involve violence which I am not a huge fan of. I like how this issue was brought to attention. 

Most Gamers today use strictly gaming machines, like Xbox and Playstation for the television. These developers are huge in the gaming industry and involves a lot of money in this industry. It takes a lot of time and development to create these games and machines. It shows how technology has changed over time. People dedicate so many hours developing these amazing games and machines. The future holds so much in store for us. Everyday 
new things are arising and being worked on. This is exciting for gamers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment