Friday, March 7, 2014

MarkJStock.com

I really enjoyed browsing through Mark's artwork. Before I looked at the artwork I read about Mark's statement. He explains, "
My work involves still, video, real-time, and interactive installations with seamless interfaces featuring highly dynamic, detail-rich imagery. I eschew an over-reliance on hyper-realistic rendering in favor of detailed and convincing movements and inter-relationships. I am intrigued by the ability of decentralized collections of subjects to, when set in motion, self-organize into complex structures whose ensemble motion is greater than the sum of their original parts and which belie the simplicity of their algorithms. Themes present in my work include: emerging system dynamics, environmental adaptation, the concept of fluid as both material and motion, self-organized criticality of non-linear systems, tension between humanity and the natural world, and computation as a mediator between natural and virtual realities."

I thought this was important to read in order to understand him as an artist and to understand his work.

A piece that really stuck out to me even though looks plain and simple is Wave for Hokusai.
I love waves and for waves to be represented this way caught my eye because it is very unique and artsy. 

This work is a tribute to the Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai, whose woodblock print "The Great Wave off Kanagawa" (1829-32). It is one of the most-recognized pieces of Japanese art and is also appreciated by researchers as an early representation of the "turbulent cascade" of energy from large to small scales. What I thought was interesting about this piece is that the algorithm used to create the piece was the result of five years of research into vortex sheet dynamics, and still represents the state-of-the-art six years later. 
Another interesting thing I learned about this piece is the tension between the computational and natural worlds became all the more relevant when, shortly after creating the piece, a powerful earthquake struck the ocean floor off the shores of Japan, sending a tsunami over numerous coastal seawalls and causing suffering to many Japanese citizens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment