Sunday, March 9, 2014

Steve Jobs Commencement Speech

The commencement speech made by Steve Jobs was very interesting to watch and I enjoyed it.
This  Commencement Speech delivered by Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Computer and of Pixar Animation Studios, was said on June 12, 2005.
I thought this speech was very interesting in learning about Steve Jobs and how he became who he was. Finding out about Jobs's childhood was very interesting. He was put up for adoption because his parents wanted a girl, but the people who were going to adopt him found out that his biological parents never went to college, so they kept him and said one day he will go to college. At 17 he went to college but decided to drop out because he didn't see the value in it,  and said to himself everything will be okay. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UF8uR6Z6KLcA quote I really liked said by Steve is, "Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life." 

He then discusses love and loss. He knew what he wanted to do early in life. He started creating Apple in his garage at 20 years old and this is when things began to take off and Apple became a 2 billion dollar company. 
He then talks about death. A quote that affected his life was, "
"If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something." 

This stuck out to me because I love this outlook on life. Even though he was diagnosed with cancer he still remained positive and had a surgery and is fine now! He makes a point to only live your life a no one else's because time is limited. 

I love how he ended his speech with, "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.", which we should all remember to do!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment